Why is this blog called Unconventional Journey

This picture means a lot to me.  Somebody might look at it and see smog, ugly buildings, and a parking lot with some city buses.  When I look at this picture, I am reminded of February 14th, 2014.  A foolish traveler with about $1000 to his name with a promised job opportunity teaching in some little kindergarten far away from any friends, or family is looking out of his first Beijing apartment.  I deserve to be called an idiot because I came to a far away country completely unprepared, only knowing how to say hello in this completely foreign language, and lacking the substantial funds just in case something goes wrong.  A lot of things went wrong, but the lessons I learned from my own stupidity have made me the teacher I am today.

Let's stop reminiscing of the past for a moment and reflect on the title I gave my blog.  As you can see, I am a teacher through an unconventional journey.  I did not study education in university.  I studied philosophy.  I wasn't eased into teaching through internships, and observations.  I went straight to the deep end of the pool where the sharks are, and jumped in.  I didn't try teaching in my own country.  I went to a China. 

Some people that are familiar with the ESL scene here in China, may equate ESL teachers to drunkard lowlifes, who can only get women and jobs in this country merely due to the fact that they are white or hold a decent passport.  This stereotype exists for a reason, and I can testify I have seen it hold true time and time again.  I am white, and I couldn't get a job back in the states.  Part of that is because I spent many years as a seminarian, and what serious company wants someone who studied philosophy from a university accredited by Vatican City and only knows some non-profit work.  At least that is what I thought, and lacking fundamental job hunting skills, I couldn't land a job, and I did not want to further my education at the time.  Thus, I researched and applied for jobs overseas, and managed to get something over here.  Rather than whine about no jobs in the states, I packed my bags and came here.  Concerning my comment about being white, unfortunately a sort of ignorant racism exists over here, and parents for some reason often want fair skinned teachers.  Silly, isn't it?  Although my story reeked of the ESL stereotype, I refused to give in to the drunkard womanizer part.  I must confess that I was pulled this way and that, but somehow I remained balanced in the end.  There were a few questions in the back of my mind.  How can I be a good educator if I don't try to live a healthy full life.  Nothing wrong with having some fun, but I did not want to join the greasy crowd of party goers who hit the club until the early mornings, and then crawled into the classroom with glazed red eyes.

Thus, I started teaching, and educating myself.  I was able to get my CELTA while working full time and planning a wedding.  I found a better job in a bilingual school.  I enrolled into a Masters of Science program.  I will also seek to get my teaching credentials.

None of this would be possible if it wasn't for the two most important people in my life.  My wife, a Dongbei girl, helps me keep focus and work hard.  My baby Vesper always keeps me motivated because I want her to have the happiest life possible.  Thus, this is how I feel I had quite an unconventional journey.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story Daniel! What a great way to introduce your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a beautiful blog, Daniel! It's very aesthetically pleasing! I totally get that you want to improve yourself and are using your daughter as motivation. I have also begun a journey of betterment thanks to my new baby girl. She's quite the motivator to lead a happy, healthy life and maintain good habits that I know she will learn from me someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome!! It looks great! Your story is pretty cool too! Excellent Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy looking at your pictures and reading the commentary. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Daniel, I enjoyed reading your blog post and liked the picture you included. I really think it was a great opening for your post. Yours is a very inspiring story and it is good to hear of your accomplishments. It sounds like you have a beautiful family. I wish you all the best in your future, take care!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment