The World's Hardest Puzzle
Here is a picture of the first school I worked at in China. I only worked here for about three weeks, but it is the starting point, the journey in the world of full time education. Before even coming to China, I had the image of a puzzle framed in my mind...very clear, but although the pieces stayed the same, the box was changed, and I had to take apart many of the pieces to reform my puzzle into another work of art.
I am the world's hardest puzzle. You are the world's hardest puzzle. Each person is an enigma. If you asked me as I stood in front of this building where I would be today, I would definitely not think it was doing any sort of graduate program. I was done studying, and I wanted to have an adventure. Teaching was a means to an end, not a passion. I am the sort of fellow who has poured over numerous books, and signed up to numerous programs to find my passion, and education was not there...it was a mere candle flame.
Today, I am passionate because experience has taught me the joys that come with teaching. I can make a difference. I have other passions, and I am learning new skills as well. I am a life long learner. Currently, I am learning stock trading. It is the second other way I have made a little more money. We all have new possibilities. I am learning Education Technology as well. Thus, passion doesn't necessarily need to be found. It needs to grow from a candle flame to a roaring flame. The puzzle doesn't always need to be put together all at once. The box doesn't need a picture on it. The puzzle can be put together one piece at a time. The pieces don't always need to connect right away. Eventually it will be.

I agree there are many joys that come with teaching. I have many FaceBook friends of students that I taught over the years. It has been very touching for me to see how they have grown over the years. You have quite a long career ahead of you before your students will actually share their appreciation. Enjoy the journey!
ReplyDelete