Summarizing my strategy for using, changing, and modifying formative assessments in the classroom



Formative assessments in the classrooms are necessary tools for properly measuring a student's success as well as reflecting on and improving on one's teaching practices.  As a teacher this self-reflection and peer feedback is essential for both student success and success as an educator.

Recently, I reflected on three classroom assessments, and within those three classroom assessments, I designed an assessment from Kahoot.  I have used these assessments numerous times within the classroom, apart from the last assessment.  Jermaine, my colleague was able to give me feedback on how these assessments could be better, or if they were sufficient.  

My first assessment used mini-whiteboards to check for understanding.  This allows for full class participation and limits problems with technology.  In general, the feedback was positive with the purpose and possibilities with using mini whiteboards.  However, I was able to see the problems as well through peer review.  The problems that could arise are due to material issues such as glare, the cost and effectiveness of dry erase markers, and the odor of the markers.  I would definitely need to have a good stock of markers, and if I ran out, I would have to use scrap paper so the children can write on that and then throw the paper away (without too much waste).  As well, some children could get distracted with the boards and I would need to avoid this by creating a strict routine, and explain the activity before passing out the materials.

My second assessment is about Venn Diagrams.  We all know how useful they are within the classroom.  My colleague mentioned that older children might not want to do Venn Diagrams and find them boring.  I currently teach elementary level students.  I have found this to be an issue, but can salvage the use of Venn Diagrams by doing it together in the class, having the students draw rather than write, and having the students all get a chance to come up to the board.

My third assessment is a multiple choice activity on Kahoot to aid with spelling.  My colleague mentioned that it was good but some students might not have access to technology.  This means I need to have extra tools at the ready for my students.  As well, Jermaine mentioned that it is important to avoid becoming dependent on technological tools because that can cause trouble when it doesn't work.

Concerning formulating a general strategy for using, changing, and modifying formative assessments in the classroom, I would like to suggest the following.

1. Begin with fellow teachers - within this group, after reading the discussions, I have been able to come up with new ideas for formative assessments with my students.  Fellow teachers are the best way to quickly learn new methods and come up with new ideas.

2. Use the internet - need I say more.  A simple google search can both offer amazing ideas, as well as be able to verify if those ideas are good or not.

3. When using the assessments - try more than once.  If the assessment doesn't work well, question the steps that you did, and see what areas worked and did not work.  Try the assessment again, because the students will be more acquainted with the tool being used and oftentimes will do a better job the second time around

4. Peer Feedback - share your ideas with other colleagues like in this activity and you will get amazing feedback that you would've missed on your own.

5. Changing and Modifying Assessments - if the students know the knowledge but the assessment tool is the problem, you need to change it.  There are so many places online to look to get ideas on what assessment tool you could try.  Modifying assessments require you to pay attention to the different assessment components: knowledge, assessment tool, etc.  Keeping a small record book that you consistently refer to will help you remember the changes that ran across your mind at the time of the assessment.

Comments